Wanna know the secret?
Here it is: There is no secret.
Just like for healthy eating, the kind of eating that allows your body to optimally do what it evolved to do. There is no secret that will make you healthy.
There are just a bunch of things we tend to forget in the hectic pace of our modern lives.
So this morning, as I was reminding myself of some of them, I thought I might as well write them down.
No, there won’t be a recipe. See below to figure-out why.
The things we forget about eating in a way that allows our bodies to be healthy
Don’t worry, it’s actually a short list. And it should look familiar.
- Cook food at home. Meals you actually prepare, not eat at a restaurant or order in, or take out of a box to pop in the microwave oven. (Nothing wrong with the microwave oven, by the way.) And while you are at it, make some extra to take to work as your lunch the next day, instead of hitting the food court. (That’s where the microwave oven comes in.)
- Start from real, whole ingredients, that have not been processed into some barely recognizable version of something that grows or moves of its own volition. Mix and match as you feel, letting the natural flavours do the job.
- It is not the specific ingredients that matter. For instance, good stuff like what I had for breakfast this morning (eggs, kale, onions, garlic, turmeric, red peppers, coconut oil) are just that: good stuff. No magic involved, no super food.
- Take the time to sit down and eat. It is when we rush that we make the most eating mistakes. Lack of time means bad decisions like food that has been processed, but as well an added stress to our entire bodies, making it harder to process the food properly.
- Minimize the NOT FOOD part of your daily intake. That’s just common sense, but the problem is that we often mindlessly put stuff (and by “stuff” I really meaning things that just take space without providing nutritional value) into our mouths.
That’s it. If you keep this in mind, you’ll let your body do its job with minimal impediment.
And you’ll be having a lot of bright and yummy mornings as well. Especially if you exercise regularly, either before or after breakfast. Enjoy!
P.S.: In case you were wondering, there is no recipe in this post. This is not a blog about food.
Photos by me. This morning.